Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sketches for Currency Project














These are my sketches for the Currency Project. I started with the idea of Historical architecture in Syracuse, NY, for I felt that the architecture in Syracuse was one of its richer surviving attributes. My research included talking to the University's leading architecture historian, and from her I was able to achieve a fair understanding of architecture in Syracuse, and leading architectures of the nineteenth and twentieth century in Syracuse. The architecture I chose to put on my currency all have to do with Syracuse University and the city in some shape or form. Although this was not required, I like the layers of conceptual thought my project evokes. For example, one of the houses I chose from a Syracuse Architect was bought and still remains in the family of the Mayor of Syracuse from 1914-1920. The rest of my currency depicts common architectural forms and font and aesthetics common of the renaissance revival period in architecture. Lastly, the name I chose for my currency adds another layer to my conceptual process for the project. Burhans, the name of my currency, is actually the last name of a Syracuse glass distributor that was famous for his intricate glass windows and glass work within the home.





No comments:

Post a Comment